Webinar Replay - Cancellation of Debt

Kristy S. Maitre
June 1, 2016

In general, you must report any taxable amount of a canceled debt as ordinary income from the cancellation of debt on Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, if the debt is a nonbusiness debt, or an applicable schedule if the debt is a business debt. There are exceptions to the reporting requirement and we will review Form 982 and the exceptions.

In this webinar replay, Kristy provided an overview to the business and non-business cancellation of debt and how it impacts the tax return. 

Cancellation of debtnew 3 per page.pdf

Want to view entire articles or watch the videos?

Log In or Subscribe today!

CALT does not provide legal advice. Any information provided on this website is not intended to be a substitute for legal services from a competent professional. CALT's work is supported by fee-based seminars and generous private gifts. Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in the material contained on this website do not necessarily reflect the views of Iowa State University.

RSS​ Facebook Twitter