Farm Transitions: Entering, Expanding, or Exiting the Business
Register Today: Online or In Person Option!
Whether you want to begin farming, you are looking to transition your farm business to the next generation, or you are a producer somewhere in between, this event is for you. Come learn about opportunities, pitfalls to avoid, and tools required for a successful farm transition. On the first day, you will hear from industry experts on current farm markets and opportunities. Are there opportunities for entry or expansion that you haven’t considered? What are the risks you must weigh? How might these opportunities impact retirement? On the second day, we will dive into the nuts and bolts of farm business transitions. We will explore financial considerations for beginning or expanding a farm business, including business planning essentials. We will also review relevant tax, business, and estate law considerations and explain important planning tools and strategies.
Day One (February 10) Agenda:
- Secretary Mike Naig, Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship
- Will Iowa Farmland Values Continue to Grow?
- Wendong Zhang, ISU Center for Agricultural & Rural Development
- Cash Rent Considerations
- Alejandro Plastina, ISU Center for Agricultural & Rural Development
- Beginning Farmer Loans
- Dustan Svoboda, USDA Farm Service Agency
- Iowa’s Beginning Farmer Loan & Tax Credit Programs
- Steve Ferguson, Iowa Finance Authority
- Working with Your Banker to Facilitate the Loan Process
- Leslie Miller, Former V.P, Marion County Bank
- Banker/Lender Panel
- Dustan Svoboda, Steve Ferguson, and Leslie Miller
- Farm and Crop Economy Update
- Chad Hart, ISU Center for Agricultural & Rural Development
- ARCPLC – Election and Enrollment
- Katie Kramer & Kevin McClure, Farm Service Agency
- Evaluating Opportunities in the Livestock Industry
- Lee Schulz, ISU Center for Agricultural & Rural Development
- Livestock Feeding Contracts: Practical Legal Advice – Starting with “Read It”
- Eldon McAfee, Brick Gentry P.C.
- Exploring Value-added Agriculture Opportunities (Panel)
- Christa Hartsook (moderator), ISU Farm, Food and Enterprise Development
Day Two (February 11) Agenda:
- What Are Your Goals?
- John Baker, Attorney at ISU Iowa Concern Hotline
- Farm Transition Pitfalls as Seen in the Courts
- Kitt Tovar Jensen, ISU Beginning Farmer Center
- What are our Financial Statements Telling Us?
- Kelvin Leibold, ISU Extension and Outreach
- Communicating During Farm Transitions
- Kiley Fleming, Iowa Mediation Services
- Business Plan Essentials for New or Emerging Businesses
- Duane Johnson, ISU Farm, Food and Enterprise Development
- Transition Tax Considerations
- Kristine Tidgren, ISU Center for Agricultural Law and Taxation
- Tools for the Transition: A Legal Guide to a Successful Farm Transition
- Erin Herbold-Swalwell, Iowa Farm Bureau Financial Services
- Using Business Entities to Grow or Transfer the Business
- Kristine Tidgren and Jennifer Harrington, ISU Center for Agricultural Law and Taxation
- Build Your Professional Team—Finding the Folks Who Can Guide Your Transition
- Melissa O’Rourke, ISU Extension and Outreach
|John R. Baker, Attorney, Iowa Concern Hotline, Iowa State Extension and Outreach|
|Steve Ferguson, Ag Development Program Specialist, Iowa Finance Authority|
|Jennifer Harrington, Staff Attorney, Center for Agricultural Law & Taxation, Iowa State University|
|Chad Hart, Professor of Economics & Crop Markets Specialist, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development, Iowa State University|
|Christa Hartsook, Small Farms Program Coodinator, Farm, Food and Enterpise Development, Iowa State Universityy|
|Erin Herbold-Swalwell, Senior Counsel - Advanced Markets, Farm Bureau Financial Services|
|Katie Kramer, Agriculture Program Specialist, USDA Farm Service Agency|
|Kelvin Leibold, Farm and Ag Business Management Specialist, Iowa State University Extension & Outreach|
|Eldon McAfee, Shareholder, Brick Gentry P.C.|
|Kevin McClure, Chief Agriculture Program Specialist, USDA Farm Service Agency|
|Leslie Miller, Former V.P, Marion County Bank|
|Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig, Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship|
|Melissa O'Rourke, Farm and Ag Business Management Specialist, Iowa State University Extension & Outreach|
|Alejandro Plastina, Associate Professor, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development, Iowa State University|
|Lee Schulz, Associate Professor, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development, Iowa State University|
|Dustan Svoboda, Farm Loan Specialist, USDA Farm Service Agency|
|Kristine Tidgren, Director, Center for Agricultural Law & Taxation, Iowa State University|
|Kitt Tovar Jensen, Beginning Farmer Center Coordinator, Center for Agricultural Law & Taxation, Iowa State University|
|Wendong Zhang, Associate Professor, Center for Agricultural & Rural Development, Iowa State University|
$175 - In-person Registration (includes lunch both days and a Farm Transitions workbook)
For groups of two or more, use code GROUP50 to recieve $50 off each in-person registration. Does not apply to student registration.
$100 - University or College Student Registration (in person or online) (Student scholarships may be available).
$150 - Webinar Registration (include Farm Transitions workbook PDF) (Webinar participants will receive two links from GoToWebinar to join conference virtually).
$114 room rate* Reserve your room at the Gateway Hotel & Conference Center or call 515-292-8600.
*Discounted room rate plus applicable taxes/fees per night, expires January 27, 2022.