New form for Iowa Groundwater Hazard Statements

June 4, 2012 | Roger McEowen

Real estate transferor in Iowa must file a Groundwater Hazard Statement with the County Recorder for the County in which the property is located.  The statement provides information to the buyer (as well as others) with respect to the specific types of known hazards on the property.   County Recorders typically time-stamp Groundwater Hazard Statements when filed and give them instrument numbers so that they can be included in the county real estate indexes.  This process allows the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to access the forms as part of the Iowa Land Records, and saves the Recorder from having to send copies to the DNR each month.  As such, it is important that parties preparing the forms use the current version of the form that contains a 3-inch margin at the top.   Effective January 1, 2008, many Iowa County Recorder offices will accept only the new form that contains the appropriate margin.

To download forms,visit the Iowa Land Records website: