Filing Proof of Claims in the VeraSun Bankruptcy
The VeraSun Energy Corp. Bankruptcy filing last fall rocked the ethanol world. Now the matter has progressed to a point where debtors can file a proof of claim form with VeraSun Energy Corp. The deadline for filing a Proof of Claim form for rejected corn contracts is May 25 or 30 days after a corn contract has been rejected, whichever is later. The Proof of Claim form to use is Form No. 10 of the Official Bankruptcy Forms (VeraSun form.pdf). The form will have to be mailed in - a facsimile is not acceptable, and the form cannot be submitted electronically.
Here's a checklist to use when filling out a claim form:
- Make sure to file the form in the correct case with the correct debtor number (list of debtor names and associated case numbers: Verasun Names.pdf If you have claims against multiple debtors, a separate Proof of Claim Form must be filed in each separate case.
- Sign the Proof of Claim Form.
- Attach all supporting documentation, or at least a summary of supporting documentation. If nothing is attached, make sure to explain why.
- Complete the Proof of Claim Form in English.
- Make sure to use United States currency for the amount of your asserted claim.
Here's the mailing address for filing your Proof of Claim Form:
VeraSun Energy Corporation, et al.
Claims Processing Department
c/o Kurtzman Carlson Consultants, LLC
2335 Alaska Avenue
El Segundo, CA 90245
If you would like to read the Bankruptcy Court's Order of April 2 specifying the details of filing proof of claims: Verasun Motion.pdf
The Center for Agricultural Law and Taxation does not provide legal advice. Any information provided on this website is not intended to be a substitute for legal services from a competent professional. The Center's work is supported by fee-based seminars and generous private gifts. Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in the material contained on this website do not necessarily reflect the views of Iowa State University.